Domestic EPC

in Carshalton, Sutton, Redhill, Epsom, Leatherhead, Kingston, Tooting, Surrey and Surrounding Areas.


Domestic EPC – The property Assessment Company have completed thousands of domestic energy performance assessments and take pride in ensuring that every assessment we do is completed accurately, and in line with the latest conventions.

We work for Estate Agents, Landlords and homeowners direct to offer a level of service that is second to none. We are happy to help and advise our clients of the best way to improve a property with energy efficiency in mind. We have helped dozens of Landlords find solutions to the sometimes difficult topic of the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards.

We will happily answer any EPC questions you have, find solutions to your MEES problems and help you establish whether or not you need an EPC for your property.

Domestic EPC for Homeowners

For homeowners, an EPC is required at the point of advertising a property for sale. The Domestic EPC is valid for ten years and can be used for multiple transactions. There is no pass or fail and no minimum standard that must be reached to sell a domestic property.

All domestic properties can be assessed including listed properties and very old properties. It is not a requirement to replace an expired EPC until the property is advertised for sale.

It is quite common for a homeowner to request a new EPC following home improvements but again, this is not a requirement. A homeowner EPC is exactly the same document as an EPC for landlords.

Does an EPC already exist?

There is only one central register for EPC’s. To find out if a property already has or to retrieve an existing certificate, the Energy Performance of Buildings Register can be used.

Just visit and click “Start Now.” The Property Assessment Company is happy to do this for you with no obligation or charge. Just get in touch and we will help you find out if you already have an existing Domestic EPC.

The beginners guide to EPC

  • Domestic EPC is an abbreviation for Energy Performance Certificate
  • An Energy Performance Certificate is the document provided following a Domestic Energy Assessment
  • A Domestic EPC Energy Assessment can only be carried out by a qualified Domestic Energy Assessor
  • Domestic Energy Assessors are also known as DEA’s
  • Energy Performance Certificates were originally introduced in 2007 as part of the home information pack (HIP) and were required for larger homes at the point of sale. Since then they have evolved, and it is now a requirement to have an Energy Performance Certificate for all residential property that is sold or let in the UK, regardless of size. Currently, an EPC must be supplied at the point of advertising a property for sale or let, so that the potential occupier is aware of the energy efficiency of the property.

The history of EPC’s for Landlords

In October 2008 it became law that landlords must provide an Energy Performance Certificate for any domestic EPC property when either renewing a tenancy or starting a new one. If a property was to be advertised for sale or let, the EPC had to be provided at the point of advertising. On 1st April 2018 Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) came in to force for landlord’s in England and Wales.

This was for new tenancies and meant that the EPC must have an Energy Efficiency rating of at least an E. Any property with an Energy Efficiency rating of F or G would need to have improvements made before it could be let.

The law changed again on the 1st April 2020. From this date all domestic rental property must have a valid EPC which complies with the MEES regardless of when the tenancy started.