Everything you need to know about our services


Frequently asked questions

EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate.
EPC’s are a legal requirement and must be provided for any building that is advertised for sale or Let. Once obtained, an EPC is valid for 10 years.
An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is the document provided on completion of an energy assessment.
The EPC provides a rating of the properties energy efficiency and has useful information relating to the cost of running a property and about improvements that could be made to the property to improve its energy efficiency.

An EPC is valid for 10 years and can be used for multiple transactions during that time.

No, the assessment is not designed to advise on individual energy tariff’s.

The energy assessor will need to access all rooms as well as any connected area such as loft or basement.
The assessor will need to see the heating, hot water system and controls. Windows and doors will be inspected and number of light bulbs counted.

It is dependant on the size for the property. A small mid floor flat could be assessed in 20-25 minutes. A standard 3 three bedroom house will normally take 30-40 minutes. Generally, the larger the property, the longer it takes but not normally longer than an hour.

There is no pass or fail for an EPC, but if the property is being let it will need to meet the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES). MEES do not apply when a property is being sold.

Sometimes! The assessment is a non-invasive visual inspection of the property. The assessor will document everything they can see and for this no other paperwork is required. However, some properties have had upgrades to the level of insulation they were first built with and if this can’t be seen, documentary evidence may be needed in order to include it in the assessment. Similarly, any modifications to the property such as extensions, loft conversions or replacement windows and doors need to be recorded with the date that the modification was made. The assessor may require additional evidence to ensure the correct date can be assigned.

The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard only applies to rented property. All domestic rental property regardless of when the tenancy started must comply with MEES. Currently, the MEES standard is E. This means that a domestic rental property must have an Energy Efficiency Rating of A-E before it can be Let. Properties with a rating of F or G will need to have improvements made before they can be Let.

It’s not definite yet but there is currently a Government consultation that is exploring the option of raising the MEES to a C rating by 2025. It is expected that this will be agreed and will become legislation at some point.

No, we don’t need to see any of the electrical outlets. The assessor will be looking at the construction of the building, windows and doors and the heating and hot water system.